Macronutrients (or major dietary nutrients) include proteins, carbohydrates and fats. They are all vital to our good health and wellbeing. The building blocks of protein are amino acids. When digested, protein foods like meat, chicken, fish, eggs & nuts, are all broken down into these smaller units for absorption.
Whey protein (from dairy) provides the most absorbable form of protein due to it’s full range of all the amino acids, therefore providing a broader range of benefits. Plant-based protein (eg. rice, pea, soy & hemp) is less easily absorbed & contains fewer amino acids, but is still a good option for those with dietary restrictions.
Why Protein in your diet?
5 reasons why whey protein is a very useful addition to the diet:
- Building lean muscle: Protein is essential for repair and growth. It contains branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) which are readily absorbed and thus promote the growth of strong healthy muscle tissue, in conjunction with exercise.
- Weight Loss: Any increase in muscle mass will boost your metabolism. A balanced diet including the right amount of protein for your individual needs, along with exercise, will benefit weight loss. The more muscle you build the easier it is to keep your body fat low.
- Healthy immunity: Whey protein both supports and protects the immune system. When it is extracted from milk, chemicals and high levels of heat are avoided so that the immune boosting components are still in tact.
- Healthy Ageing: As we age we need to maintain our muscle so that we can continue to be mobile and strong. Protein shakes provide a great benefit to ageing women and men, and they taste great!
- Assists General Wellbeing: Amino acids are not just for muscle building, but also promote healthy neurotransmitters that boost our mood and aid in stress management. So, they are vital to both our physical and mental wellbeing and are thus essential to our diet!
Try my Banana & Peanut Butter Smoothie now!
In a blender place: 1 banana, 1 Tbsp Greek yoghurt, 1 Tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter), 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 200 ml water. Blend and enjoy!