One of the most common health conditions that people have great concerns about is the fear of cognitive decline or dementia.
Here are 8 ways to prevent this decline:
1) Diet plays a major role. Undeniable research shows that a diet high in processed carbohydrates & trans fats increases your risk of dementia around 90%. On the other hand, a diet containing moderate amounts of quality protein, high levels of good fats and is low in carbs, is highly protective of our brain health.
Avoid: processed sugary foods like biscuits, cakes, donuts, etc. Anything in a packet, that’s processed.
Eat: good fats like nuts & seeds, fish, olives, olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, nut butters. Include quality protein like fish, chicken, low fat meats, turkey, tofu, beans, etc. Include fresh fruit & vegetables.
2) Increase your intake of antioxidants. These levels are high in fruit & vegetables that are purple & blue in colour, eg. cherries, blueberries, grapes, etc. Also found in green tea, antioxidants protect our neurons in the brain.
3) A Keto diet protects brain function by improving insulin sensitivity. There is a high degree of correlation between insulin resistance and Alzheimer’s, often referred to as Type 3 Diabetes. The higher your blood sugar levels, the faster your rate of cognitive decline.
4) The Keto diet triggers the body to produce ketones, which provides a source of energy for the brain and prevents wasting (atrophy) of the brain. Ketones can restore & renew neurons and nerve function even after damage has begun.
5) A Keto diet can also reduce free radical damage as antioxidants do.
6) Lowering cholesterol too much can increase your dementia risk. We do need some cholesterol in our diet to help manufacture our hormones naturally. By taking statins we reduce cholesterol and run the risk of plaque deposits in the brain and therefore developing dementia.
7) Building muscle actually builds brain function and strengthens neurons. Hit the gym to maintain your mind!
8) Regular meditation practice enhances memory and healthy cognition. Relax and improve your brain health today.
FOOD IS MEDICINE. Get it to work for your health, rather than against it!