Most of us have felt the unsettling symptoms of anxiety at some point. Here are some daily tips to support better overall wellbeing and to help manage stress and anxiety:
Daily Tips to reduce anxiety:
1) Connect with friends – keeping in touch with friends maintains our support network.
2) Exercise (ideally outdoors) – our ‘feel-good’ hormones (endorphins) we produce with regular exercise have been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of stress.
3) Choose healthy foods – choose protein, good fats and fibre (vegetables) at each meal and avoid refined, sugary products. This helps balance blood sugar levels, reduce mood imbalances and lessen anxiety.
4) Avoid caffeine – stimulants like coffee and highly caffeinated soft drinks can exacerbate anxiety.
5) Breathe – this may seem obvious, but if you feel panicky, focus on some slow, purposeful deep breaths, to help to return to a state of calm. Meditation for 10-15 mins a day, can be a valuable way to instil calm. There are many free, very good meditation Apps on your phone.