https://merridycasson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Boost-Your-Metabolism2.jpg 567 800 Merridy https://merridycasson.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/mcassonfacebook-300x111.jpg Merridy2016-06-24 17:07:322020-03-29 18:48:44Tips to Turbo-charge Your Metabolism
Genetics do play a role in our metabolic make-up, but our metabolism is also strongly influenced by our body composition, diet and lifestyle.
These tips will help boost your metabolism into overdrive:
- Lift weights – build muscle with weight-bearing exercise. This increased muscle mass means we burn more calories even at rest.
- Choose clean food – avoid processed, refined, devitalised food that leaves you flat and low in energy. Fresh is best as it is wholesome, sustaining and nourishing and provides loads of unlimited energy!
- Add some spice – garlic, capsicum, ginger, turmeric and fresh herbs naturally boost satiety (a feeling of fullness) and thermogenesis (fat-burning). These natural flavour enhancers also stimulate digestion.
- Never skip meals – if you go for long periods of time without eating, your body will try to conserve energy by burning fewer calories. It can also make you hungry, leading to binge eating.
- Drink up – being dehydrated slows the metabolism.
- Switch to green tea – the catechins in green tea naturally increase metabolism.
- Eat good quality protein – this feeds your muscle growth and stimulates satiety. You will feel fuller for longer.
- Choose good fats – healthy fats promote lipolysis (breakdown of body fat). Good choices are nuts, seeds, deep-sea fish, avocado, olive oil, etc.
- Get your beauty sleep – 7 hours of quality sleep per night are just as important as eating well. We recover, repair (muscles grow) and recuperate while sleeping soundly.